If you’re here for the social theory or social media, please ignore this massively nerdy post. I’ve now read Marvel’s Secret Wars twice and there’s a few things I’m mystified by. Have I missed a big chunk of the storytelling? Or were these Chekhov’s rifles gone wrong: elements introduced into a vastly complex plot which Hickman didn’t have the time, space or energy to do anything about later?
- How did Stephen Strange become the leader of the Black Priests?
- What was the plan which adult Franklin and Valeria embarked upon in the closing stages of Hickman’s pre-SW Fantastic Four run?
- What role did adult Franklin and Immortus/Kang play? They were seen in Captain America’s trip through time and then never came back
- Who were soldiers the original Black Swan turned up with in New Avengers #1?
- Where did the original Black Swan come from and what were his motivations? It was hinted early not there was a secret to be revealed and it never was.
- What did Tony Stark actually do to make the world hate in him in the missing six months?
In the early stages this was the most gripping Marvel storyline I remember in 25+ years of reading them. But it added up to less than the sum of its part and I’m still slightly irritated by all the dangling plots points.