Recording this for future use when Filip Vostal and I progress a bit further with our book:
You will remember that earlier this year we surveyed all members to find out more about your concerns around workload intensification and working hours. The report and an executive summary are now available here.
Thank you to the 18,000 members who took the time to respond.
The results are astonishing. Our report has 5 key findings:
- staff in both the higher education and further education sectors are working an average of more than two days unpaid every week
- workload is unmanageable and unsustainable for the majority of academic staff and lecturers
- staff are taking on more responsibility and administration
- student expectations have increased
- professional and career development is suffering as a result of increasing workload pressures.
The report suggests that it is our members who are bearing the brunt of national policy reforms and increasing competition. The implications for not managing workloads effectively are huge, affecting not only your health and welfare but also the quality of education for students.