Monash University ePress was established in 2003 as an initiative that would lead the way in using innovative information technology to publish scholarly material. Its aims were to:
- advance scholarly communication by reducing the costs of and barriers to scholarly publications
- provide a more direct link between readers and writers of scholarly material
- promote the best of Monash University’s research activities and intellectual capital
- provide a sustainable electronic publishing model that facilitates the identification and pursuit of commercial opportunities
- use innovative information technology to capture, publish, retrieve, read and present scholarly material
- lead by example and provide a body of expertise within the university
The ePress focused on publishing electronic journals in underserved and emerging disciplines. It also published monographs and edited collections. The ePress primarily served the humanities and social sciences fields.